DePaul University College of LAS > Academics > History > Student Resources > Advising FAQ > Liberal Studies Program

Liberal Studies Program

Note: All students must complete the Liberal Studies program. The History Department cannot waive these requirements or authorize substitutions. Students in special circumstances may request course substitutions or waivers within the Liberal Studies Program from the LAS Dean's Office, but substitutions and waivers are NOT automatic and should NOT be expected. Students requesting a substitution should do so using the form available at the Exception to Policy page. Please submit all requests for waivers or substitutions as early as possible, as they often take time to process.

Note: Final decisions regarding Liberal Studies courses and how they fit in the students curriculum are made by the Liberal Arts and Social Sciences College Office. All students must complete the Liberal Studies program.

Do I have to take LSP 120?

Yes, unless you have fulfilled one of the following equivalents:

  • Taken calculus (MATH 147 or 150 or 160 or 170 or BMS 125)
  • Taken an equivalent course at another institution and earned a passing grade.
  • Passed the Mathematical and Technological Literacy I (MTL I) test (a proctored exam, which cannot be taken off-site)
  • Received Advanced Placement credit for calculus or statistics

The only students for whom LSP 120 or one of these equivalents is not required are those who are required to take a calculus sequence for their majors. For more information on the MTL 1 (LSP 120) equivalency exam, please go to the go to the LSP Study Guide at the Quantitati​v​e Reasoning Center​ ​and click the "placement" link.​

Do I have to take LSP 121?

If you began attending DePaul in fall 2006 or later (whether as a first-year or transfer student) you must take LSP 121, UNLESS one of the following situations applies to you:

  • You are an Honors student (for Honors students, LSP 180 replaces LSP 121.)
  • You are required to take a calculus sequence for your major (NOTE: Students cannot substitute calculus or any other courses for LSP 121 by choice; the calculus sequence must be required by their major to substitute for LSP 121 [or LSP 180, for Honors students].)
  • You transferred to DePaul with the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) curriculum.

There is an equivalency test for LSP 121 that students can take, but unless they have a fairly advanced background in computer programming, they are unlikely to "pass out" of LSP 121. For more information on the MTL II (LSP 121) equivalency exam, please go to the Quantitat​ive Reasoning Center​ (click on "placement", then click "LSP 121" tab. Use the link labeled "LSP 121 Placement Exam Study Guide.")

PLEASE NOTE: Non-Honors students who take both LSP 120 and LSP 121 may "waive" one of their Liberal Studies program Learning Domain courses OTHER THAN the Scientific Inquiry: Lab course. Please note, however, that all students must take at least one course in each Learning Domain. So, for example, a student who is using a Modern Language Option course as a substitute for one of the two "Philosophical Inquiry" domain courses cannot also use the LSP 121 waiver to substitute for the other required course in that domain.​

Do I have to take the Sophomore Multiculturalism in the US Seminar (LSP 200)?

Yes. All students, including students transferring in after sophomore year, are required to take LSP 200.

How can I satisfy the “Experiential Learning” requirement?

All students must take some kind of Junior Year Experiential Learning (JYEL) course as a degree requirement. Students can fulfill this requirement in a number of ways, including through the following:

  • A community-based service learning course
  • Another JYEL-eligible course offered through a university department
  • Approved off-campus foreign or domestic study programs
  • An internship combined with a linked DePaul course  (see additional information about this option in the questions below)

Note: You can identify specific JYEL-eligible courses offered each quarter through the Campus Connect enrollment system.  (Set the filter in the "Liberal Studies Requirement" field to "Junior Year Experiential Learning.")
Students are encouraged to fulfill their JYEL requirement during their junior year, but some students may complete this requirement in the sophomore or senior year.  Please speak with your advisor about the best options for you. Visit the Junior Year Experiential Learning site for further information. ​

How do I get an internship that meets the “Experiential Learning” requirement?

For further guidance on internships, please go to the Career Center​ and access the relevant portion of their website.

What course should I take to get DePaul credit for an internship and to satisfy the "Experiential Learning" requirement?

Internship courses offer students, through the integration of academic coursework with workplace experiences, the opportunity to gain work-related skills and knowledge of career possibilities. Students who wish to participate in the University Internship Program (UIP) can enroll in one of the UIP courses listed below. In addition, most colleges offer internship courses that satisfy the experiential learning requirement. 

UIP 250: You, Your Work and the World
UIP 251: Values–based Leadership
UIP 252: Creativity as a Change Agent in the Workplace
UIP 253: Explore NonProfit, Government, & Community Careers
UIP 254: Corporate Social Responsibility
UIP 350: Navigating the Changing Workplace
UIP 367: Global Perspectives

For further information on which course is appropriate for you, please visit the Career Center.   
Please note that internships must be arranged in advance, at least one term before the internship and internship-related course are scheduled to begin.

I currently have a job/internship in a professional area that interests me. Can I use this to satisfy the “Experiential Learning” requirement?

To get internship credit that satisfies the "Experiential Learning" or JYEL requirement, students need to take an internship-linked DePaul course.  Most of these are offered through the Career Center.  For further information, students should consult the Career Center.

The Career Center also can be contacted by phone at the following numbers:

LOOP: 312-362-8437

LINCOLN PARK: 773-325-7431

If a HST course is "Experiential Learning" eligible, can I apply it toward both my History major and also the Liberal Studies Experiential Learning requirement?

Yes, but using the same course to satisfy requirements for both the major and the Experiential Learning component of the Liberal Studies program will require you to complete an extra Liberal Studies-eligible course (a "domain elective") in a department outside History. According to the Liberal Studies website, "Students who complete one course to fulfill both major field credit and liberal studies credit will complete an additional domain elective (from outside the major). The third language course of the modern language option can fulfill this domain elective."

What is the Capstone Seminar?

The following information is found on the Liberal Studies Website:

Students are required to take a Liberal Studies capstone course in their major field during their senior year. Some Liberal Studies capstone courses may be offered jointly for students in related majors and fields of study. These courses provide students with an opportunity to integrate their major area of study with broader issues raised in their general education program. The Liberal Studies capstone experience allows students to see the relationship between the ideas, perspectives, and substantive areas of scholarship and creative work within their major field and those learned through significant aspects of their course work in the learning domain courses and other courses and experiences of the Liberal Studies Program.

A liberal studies capstone course can meet both major field and liberal studies requirements. Students who complete one course to fulfill both major field credit and liberal studies credit, will complete an additional domain elective (from outside the major). The third language course of the modern language option can fulfill this domain elective.

Because the course is offered through the major field department, students must receive a grade of C- or better in this course.

Thus, all History majors must complete a Capstone Seminar during their senior year. Before Autumn 2013, the History Capstone was HST 397. Any student who entered DePaul before Autumn 2013 can either take HST 397 as their capstone or they can choose to follow the new capstone requirement for the major. As of Autumn 2013, all history majors are required to take HST 390 as their capstone. Note: Students who are double majors may take their Liberal Studies Capstone in another department, but they must still take HST 390 to meet the departmental major requirements.