Academic advising at DePaul helps students achieve their educational, personal and career goals by providing guidance and assistance in the decision-making process. Academic advising is most effective when all participants anticipate their future needs, commit to the process, do their part and then reflect on their results. Students should work closely with their advisors to plan workable educational goals, to understand the degree options and requirements, to understand the financial implications of their decisions, to assess their strengths and challenges as scholars, and to clarify realistic career objectives for themselves upon graduation.
Students with a language major will be assigned a faculty advisor in their language program, in addition to having Corban Sanchez as a staff advisor. Faculty advisors are full-time tenured/tenure track faculty who serve as mentors to students in their respective language fields. Corban Sanchez is here to assist with technical/logistical kinds of things like degree progress, class scheduling and navigating university resources, in addition to assistance with educational, personal and career goals.
For more on how to work effectively with your faculty and staff advisors, please review our Advising Guidelines.
Welcome from Staff Advisor, Corban Megumi Sanchez
Welcome to the Department of Modern Languages! I'm excited to serve as your staff advisor and look forward to exploring your interests and goals! In case you may be interested in learning more about how we can best work together, please consider reviewing my advising philosophy.
Things to remember when working with me:
- Please provide your full name, ID#, cell#, major(s) and/or minor(s) in all emails.
- My typical office hours are Monday ~ Friday; Autumn, Winter and Spring Quarters; 7:30AM-3:30PM; Summer 8:30AM-4:30PM
- Please note that I will be out of the office August 15 ~ September 2, 2016.
- Walk-in's ok but appointments preferred; no walk-ins after 3PM.
- To set up an appointment, log into Campus Connect and select Bluestar. For appointment instructions, click here.
- The first two weeks of every quarter are generally very busy with class scheduling changes. If you want to come by as a walk-in, please have your unofficial transcripts and a copy of your DPR with you. The system can sometimes crash around this time so you may need to print it in advance.
Office Location & Contact Info
2320 North Kenmore Avenue
Schmitt Academic Center, suite 310
Chicago, IL 60614
Please be sure to check-in at the front desk upon your arrival. The receptionist will call me and I will come out to the lobby to greet you. If you have an appointment and a receptionist is not at the front desk, please ring the bell and I'll come out to get you for your scheduled appointment time.
Corban Sanchez 773-325-8673
Skype screen name for screen sharing, IM or video call: corbansanchez
Front desk: 773-325-7320
Department of Modern Languages, Suite 310 firstname.lastname@example.org
To schedule an appointment with your faculty advisor, please email her/him your days and times of availability. Your faculty advisor assignment can be found in Campus Connect under Bluestar, My Success Network. To learn more about your faculty advisor (i.e., research interests, professional experience, publications), please visit our faculty profile pages. Learn more about how to develop a relationship with your faculty by reviewing sources online, such as this one by the APA.
Faculty advisors are assigned after your major is officially declared.