DePaul University College of LAS > Academics > Modern Languages > Student Resources > Language Resources > Russian


In Pursuit of Russian

Russian Studies Minor

A language "studies" minor allows students to complete classes in the target language and classes in English about the target language culture (religion, history, art, etc.).  This makes language studies minor desirable,​ as students have more flexibility to select courses that best fit their needs and interests.  Students may be able to double count their learning domain requirements with the "studies" courses (also know as "allied" courses) when they pursue a language studies minor.  In order to fit a language studies minor into their graduation timeline, students are recommended to complete approved allied courses that are also learning domain approved courses.  For a list of approved allied and learning domain courses, please click here.

What can I do with a language program?

Anything!  One of the many benefits of a language major is the flexibility afforded to students. Students can work in whatever areas they've gained experiences in while in college through part-time jobs, internships, and student organizations.  If a student is interested in working in hospitality, for example, they can major in Arabic Studies and complete hospitality courses for their open electives while also working a part-time job in the hospitality industry.  If a student is interested in working for the government, they can begin as volunteers in a government office, apply for City of Chicago internships, and work part-time as an office assistant or desk receptionist for an alderman's office.  Working on campus in an administrative capacity can also provide students with excellent experiences in an office setting.

Students gain a variety of skills when they complete language courses, which prepares them for success as a professional in any field.  Students can improve their verbal & written communication skills, interpersonal skills, ability to work in diverse environments, and critical thinking skills, to name a few.  Students may also find a more comprehensive list of what they can do with a language major through the Career Center's websiteAuburn University also has a list of additional skills/benefts gained from language study.

It's also important to note that many people do not work in jobs directly related to their major if they don't seek out professional experiences while in college, related to their area of study. It is therefore important for students to recognize the overall skills they gain and need to develop while in college, while studing what they enjoy and what corresponds with their strengths.  If students enjoy working/talking with people from other cultures and enjoy the wonder and beauty of self-expression in other languages, a language program may be a good fit! Here are a few articles that address this point:
A college degree can help students qualify to apply for a job; experiencelikability, and fit are what get them hired.  Students can work on all of these while they are in college, so as to make the most of their college experience and expenses.  Read more about the skills employers are looking for in new hires (link above) and look for opportunities to polish these skills. Students are recommended to take two-credit classes such as UIP 240 and 241​ as a 5th class (fits within 18-credit tuition package if the other four classes are only four credits each) to learn how to better articulate who they are and what they have to offer a prospective employer.​​​

Language Proficiency Development


  • Change the language on your electronic devices to Russian






Employment Opportunities









Job Search Site

​Going Global ~ provides country-specific career and employment information. Search for jobs and internships in more than 30 countries and over 50 USA metropolitan areas. View country career guides, get news on H-1B Visa employers and more. Campus Connection login and password required.

How to use this list

  • Consider this to be a list of possibilities ~ Bi/multilingual students have the opportunity to work in a variety of settings. The key is to gain experiences relevant to your future career so that employers don't have to spend more time and money to train you.  
  • Find additional internship/job options through DePaul Experience. Once you log in, click on jobs/internships and review the jobs/internships that have been posted.
  • Gather additional information about the types of internships that are available with the companies you're interested in, research intern applicant requirements, and gain perspective on what employers are looking for in job applicants so that you may work to gain those skills. 
The posting of an internship or job does not mean that DePaul University is making any recommendation regarding the internship or job.  Students should understand that DePaul University does not make any representations or guarantees about the accuracy of information regarding internships and jobs included here.  Students are responsible for requesting additional information from a potential internship site or employer as necessary to make internship or employment decisions.

Financial Support


  • ​​ ​​Fulbright, Boren, Marshall, Rhodes, Carnegie, Truman information for DePaul students can be found online here.




Study Abroad

How to apply study abroad credit toward degree progress

You may not earn the same number of credits spring semester, as you would winter and spring quarters. Semester-school students typically complete 5 classes/18 quarter hours. DePaul students typically complete 8 classes/32 quarter hours over winter and spring quarters.  Please keep this in mind as you review your study abroad program options.

For non-DePaul study abroad programs, students must contact the DePaul Study Abroad Office. Students may work directly with universities abroad (probably the most cost-effective way to study abroad), go through another U.S. college/university's study abroad office as a non-degree seeking student with that institution, or go through a study abroad company.  Students must complete a significant amount of paperwork and thoroughly understand how the credit will transfer before embarking on a study abroad program (SAP). Please THOROUGHLY review the non-DePaul SAP webpages and checklist online here. The following information pertains to DePaul and non-DePaul study abroad programs.

  • Students may review their Degree Progress Report (DPR) to determine which classes they need to fulfill, reference which class options are available through a study abroad program, and match up requirements listed on the DPR with study abroad program class options.  Once these classes (required through DPR + offered through SAP) are identified, students are recommended to SAVE those classes/requirements for the future study abroad program.  **Students must plan their study abroad program far in advance, in order to save class/degree requirements for a study abroad program.**
    • For example: As a first year student if you decide you want to go to Italy your sophomore year in college and you see that your desired study abroad program is the Rome (language & culture) program, you could save your JYEL and A&L requirements for this study abroad program since you would complete three ITA and one A&L course through this program.
  • After choosing which courses/requirements outlined in the DPR to save for the study abroad program, students should work with the Study Abroad Office to determine whether or not those requirements may be available through the study abroad programs of interest to them. Some study abroad programs have set courses that students must take, while some programs are very flexible and students can choose from a wide variety of course options.
    • For example:  As a double major in Political Science and Arabic Studies, you decide you want to go on a non-DePaul study abroad program that provides PSC course options.  With Political Science as your primary major and Arabic Studies as your secondary major, you might be able to double count courses you take abroad in Arabic with some of your Liberal Studies Program or Political Science program requirements (provided the courses are approved to satisfy those requirements).  For example, you might take a course called TS 5330 Politics in the Middle East while you're in Jordan. If the course is articulated as PSC 255 Middle East Politics at DePaul and the course is taught in advanced Arabic (requires at least two years of college-level Arabic as the prerequisite), you could double count the course with your PSC primary major and Arabic Studies double major requirements.
  • Liberal Studies Program - learning domain courses and study abroad
    • Students should familiarize themselves with the requirements for learning domain courses, by reviewing the description of each domain and seeking courses that fit the description of the learning domain they wish to satisfy through a study abroad program.
    • If a course is articulated as a direct equivalent of a course that is an approved learning domain course, students will automatically receive learning domain credit for the course. For example, you complete a course called Introduction to Philosophy and it's articulated as PHL 100 Philosophy and its Issues at DePaul.  You would receive Philosophical Inquiry domain credit for the course because PHL 100 is already an approved Philosophical Inquiry course.
    • If a study abroad course is not articulated as a course with learning domain credit (e.g. PHL TR100, instead of PHL 100) and the student wishes to apply the course toward a learning domain requirement, the student may request a review through the Liberal Studies Program by emailing a copy of the course syllabus to the Liberal Studies Program Manager.  If the course is not approved as a learning domain course after the Liberal Studies Program reviews the course, the student will most likely not be able to satisfy a learning domain requirement with the course.  This is an excellent example of why students must have all study abroad courses reviewed prior to departure. 
    • Students should save all email exchanges with any course approvals and forward approvals to the Study Abroad Office.
  • For approval to apply courses to degree requirements (major/minor/LSP) that are not articulated as direct course equivalents (e.g. HAA 130 European Art vs HAA TR100), or specific courses that are applicable to a major/minor requirement, students may need to send course descriptions and syllabi to their advisor, Department Chair, or Program Director responsible for the major/minor program in question.  For CMN, BUS, CSH, and CD​M major/minor requirements, students must contact the college advising office for assistance.  For LAS major/minor requirements, students should contact the Program Director or Department Chair directly.  For example, as an Anthropology major you have five anthropology electives and your DPR/course catalog requirements say you can complete any 200/300 level ANT to satisfy these requirements.  You take anthropology-related courses through the Peru study abroad exchange program, but two of the courses are articulated as SPN 398, instead of ANT TR200. You could send the syllabi to the Anthropology Department Chair and ask if s/he would consider allowing you to count the SPN 398 courses toward your anthropology electives.  The Department Chair or Program Director will then decide whether or not any study abroad courses may be applied toward the major/minor requirements after reviewing the syllabi.  Any faculty approvals should then be forwarded to the student's advisor or college advising office for a DPR update.  To contact a Department Chair or Program Director, look through the faculty contact information by department.

Study Abroad vs Academic Advisors

Study abroad advisors assist with program selection, course options in those programs and issues related to departure/arrival and any other issues that may arise while abroad.  A student's main point of contact and the person who will mostly likely be able to answer the majority of a student's questions while abroad would be the study abroad program advisor.  Academic advisors assist with helping students decide which degree requirements to consider fulfilling through a study abroad program and how specific study abroad courses may satisfy degree requirements. Students must provide their academic advisors with a copy of their Transfer Credit Articulation Report (TCAR) or a list of the courses they are able to complete through the study abroad program in order for an academic advisor to explain where the courses may apply toward degree progress.  After this pre-departure discussion, students generally follow up with their academic advisor about degree progress only after the Study Abroad Office has updated the student's academic records (i.e., all classes with class titles are listed accurately in the student's transcripts).  Study abroad advisors post/update all student records so students must keep their study abroad program advisor informed of their class schedule.  Academic advisors assist with degree progress after credits are posted, so any necessary DPR adjustments can be made after a student's records have been updated to accurately reflect the courses s/he completed abroad.