The MS in Public Service Management degree educates ethical leaders to work in public, private, and nonprofit organizations. Through our cross-sector approach to learning, research, and service we prepare leaders to connect domestic and global issues, alleviate poverty, and build responsive and responsible service organizations. We promote compassion for marginalized communities and service to all people with accountability, justice, professionalism, sensitivity, and transparency.
"The program was a great fit for me. I was able to build on my interest in urban planning and community development, while getting the practical skills necessary to run a public service organization. Then, the networking opportunities at DePaul opened doors into Chicago's community development world, leading to my current job. Just as important, I developed the closest and most rewarding friendships of my life." --Christie Hahn, Executive Director, Business Partners, The Chamber for Uptown.
Degree Chair: Ronald Fernandes, PhD
How long does it typically take to complete the program?
52 credit hours are required to complete the program. The length of time varies according to student need. A few students pursuing the degree full-time (2 courses per quarter) finish in two years. Most take one course a quarter and complete their program requirements in three to four years. Students often switch between full and part time status throughout their academic careers, dependent on their personal and professional duties.
In 2016, the most recent year in which graduation rates were reported to NASPAA, for the cohort of students that began their MPS degree five years earlier, 39 percent graduated in 2 years, 59 percent graduated in 3 years and 70 percent graduated in 4 years.
Based on our 2016 MPS alumni survey, here is a list of the sectors and job titles of recent graduates:
- National or central government in the United States: 0 (0%)
- State, provincial, or regional government in the United States: 1 (3%)
- City, county, or other local government in the United States: 1 (3%)
- Foreign government (all levels) or international quasi-governmental: 0 (0%)
- Nonprofit domestic-oriented: 18 (58%)
- Nonprofit/NGOs internationally-oriented: 2 (6%)
- Private Sector - Research/Consulting : 2 (6%)
- Private Sector but not research/consulting: 4 (13%)
- Obtaining further education: 0 (0%)
- Military Service: 0 (0%)
- Unemployed (Not Seeking Employment): 0 (0%)
- Unemployed (Seeking Employment): 3 (10%)
- Conference Coordinator for The IL Legislative Latino Caucus Foundation, and Program Assistant at The Center: Resources for Teaching and Learning
- New Foundation Center - Development Director
- US Environmental Protection Agency Section Chief
- Program Manager - Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services
- Program Manager - Lions Clubs International
- Program Specialist, Development - CPA Endowment Fund of Illinois, Illinois CPA Society
- Executive Director - Far South Community Development Corporation
- Database & Communications Coordinator Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Miami Florida
- Elevate Energy - Research Analyst
- Recruiter at Presence Health
- Special Events Manager NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Program Director, National Health Corps - Chicago at the Public Health Institute of Metropolitan Chicago
- Event Manager in the Office of Advancement - DePaul University
- Police Sergeant - University of Illinois Police
- Director, Financial Aid - College of Lake County
- Merchant Development Representative at Groupon
- Senior Associate, Membership & Operations at SmithBucklin
- Manager, Chaper Affairs - ACOEP
- Scholarship Coordinator - DePaul University (part-time)
- Executive Secretary - DePaul University
- Associate Director on On Site Programs at Wilson Bennett Technology
- Director, Residential Programs - Human Options
- Market Management Consultant with Humana Inc.
- Network Development and Outreach Operations Manager at the University of Chicago Medical Center
- Communications Manager - American Hospital Association
- Executive Assistant - Nova Southeastern University
- Academic & Community Coordinator Academic Service Learning Irwin W. Steans Center for Community-based Service Learning DePaul University
- Event Specialist for NAMI, NC - National Alliance on Mental Illness of North Carolina