College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Academics > Geography > Student Resources > Advising


Advising Quick Facts

  • Students need 192 credit hours to graduate.
  • The last 60 credit-hours (15 courses) of your degree must be completed at DePaul.
  • Students can transfer up to 99 credit-hours from junior colleges (for example, College of DuPage).
  • Students can transfer up to 132 credit-hours from a four-year university.

Advising FAQ

Who should I contact for general inquiries about the DePaul Geography Department?

For general inquiries, announcements, etc. please contact the Geography Department directly, either by email (, phone (773-325-7669), or through the DePaul Geography Facebook page.

I am an already-enrolled student: Who should I contact in the College Office with questions I may have about my degree progress or about the remaining courses I need to finish my program?

Please contact Cassie Follett, GIS Coordinator for the Department of Geography ( She should be able to answer any questions you might have about progress towards your degree in Geography.​

Where can I learn about the transfer credit available to me for my previous courses at another college or university ?

The Transfer Center website contains searchable databases for colleges and universities across the United States. It is a fast and simple tool for assessing your transfer credits.​

Can I take a GEO course as an Allied Field?

Yes, but only in consultation with and permission from your advisor. A student can also register in a GEO course that is cross-listed under another department’s number and use that course as an Allied Field, with consent of the advisor.

Can a Geography major use GEO133 (Urban Geography – Experiential Learning) as their Junior Year Experiential Learning course?

Yes. The student is then required to take an additional LAS course (from any domain) to replace the JYEL requirement in the Liberal Studies requirements.

When I am a senior preparing for graduation, when do I need to apply for Degree Conferral?

Students need to apply for Degree Conferral the quarter before their final quarter. This is accomplished using CampusConnect (Students > Graduation > Apply for Degree Conferral). Students need 132 credit-hours to apply for Degree Conferral.  After applying for Degree Conferral, students need to set up an appointment with LAS Graduation for their graduation check – 773-325-7310 or LAS Office (2350 N. Clifton Avenue), suite 130.

How do I declare a Geography minor?

Declaration of major forms can be obtained from the College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences Undergraduate Advising Forms Library.