DePaul University College of LAS > Academics > History > Faculty >
Research and Teaching Interests
- Early America
- U.S. Women's and Gender History
- American Revolution
- History of Sexuality
- LGBTQ Studies
- U.S. Social and Cultural History
Courses Recently Offered
- LSP 200: Multiculturalism and U.S. Women's History
- HST 275: Sex in America: From Puritans to Victorians
- HST 288: U.S. Women's History
- HST 422: Seminar in Primary Source Analysis
- Editor, Women in Early America (NYU Press, 2015).
- Sex and the Founding Fathers: The American Quest for a Relatable Past (Temple University Press, 2014)
- Editor, Documenting Intimate Matters: Primary Sources for a History of Sexuality in America (U Chicago Press, 2012)
- Editor, New Men: Manliness in Early America (New York University Press, 2011).
- Editor, Long Before Stonewall: Histories of Same-Sex Sexuality in Early America (New York University Press, 2007).
- Sex and the Eighteenth-Century Man: Massachusetts and the History of Sexuality in America (Beacon Press, 2006).
- "Sex and Public Memory of Founder Aaron Burr," Common-Place 15 (Fall 2014).
- "Reconsidering Libertines and Early Modern Heterosexuality: Sex and American Founder, Gouverneur Morris," Journal of the History of Sexuality 22 (January 2013): 65-84.
- "Recovering Washington's Body-Double: Disability and Manliness in the Life and Legacy of a Founding Father," Disability Studies Quarterly (January 2012).
- "Sex Between Men in the Eighteenth Century," reprint of Sex and the Eighteenth-Century Man: Massachusetts and the History of Sexuality in America (Boston: Beacon Press, 2006), ch. 7, in Elizabeth Reis, ed., American Sexual Histories 2nd edition (Blackwell, 2012).
- "The Sexual Abuse of Black Men Under American Slavery," Journal of the History of Sexuality 20 (September 2011): 445-64.
- "John Adams and the Choice of Hercules: Manliness and Sexual Virtue in Eighteenth-Century British America," in New Men: Manliness in Early America, ed., Thomas A. Foster, (New York: New York University Press, 2011).
- "Antimasonic Satire, Sodomy and Eighteenth-Century Masculinity in The Boston Evening-Post, Notes and Documents," The William and Mary Quarterly 60 (January 2003): 171-84.
- "Deficient Husbands: Manhood, Sexual Incapacity, and Male Marital Sexuality in Seventeenth-Century New England," The William and Mary Quarterly 56 (October 1999): 723-44. Reprinted in American Experiences: Readings in American History, Volume 1 to 1877 5th edition, eds., Randy Roberts and James S. Olson, (New York: Longman, 2002).
- Cheap Attacks on Trump Undermine Progressive Values, Chicago SunTimes, February 18, 2017.
- Women in Early America and the Need for a National Women's History Museum, Huffington Post, June 15, 2015.
- Cuts to Liberal Arts Education Threaten Our Future and Our Past, Huffington Post, March 10, 2015.
- What You Never Knew About Ronald Reagan National Airport: Abingdon Plantation, an Extraordinary Resource for American History, Huffington Post, December 8, 2014.
- Rep. Todd Akins Ideas About Rape Hark Back to the Colonial Era, LA Times, August 22, 2012.
- In God We Trust or E Pluribus Unum? The Founding Fathers Preferred the Latter Motto, History News Network, November 8, 2011.
- On Media Reports of Flash Mobs and Black Masculinity, From The Square: NYU Press Blog, July 12, 2011.
- A Question of Power, Not Sex, Bakersfield Californian, October 9, 2010.
- Voting Away Others' Rights, Detroit Free Press, November 13, 2008.
- This Won't Be the Last Political Scandal, Tallahassee Democract, March 14, 2008.
- Time for the Senate to Act: Hatred Against Gays Hurt us All, Chicago Sun-Times, August 27, 2007.
- Did Early Americans Have a Sexual Identity? History News Network, December 11, 2006.
- Sex and the American Politician, San Francisco Chronicle, November 12, 2006.