Careful completion of this two-part admission essay is an important step in the application process for all students seeking admission to DePaul University's Master of Arts in Liberal Studies program. By taking the time to prepare thoughtful responses to these essays, you will provide the kind of detailed information that will help the MALS program give thorough consideration to your application. The essay should be typed, single spaced, and contain the name and contact information of the applicant on the document. Please submit essays tp the College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences Graduate Office.
MALS Admission Essay: Part I
For Part I, please write a two page essay in which you address your informal as well as your formal preparation for admission to the MALS program. Please answer these three questions as specifically as possible.
- What influenced your decision to return to school?
- What personal and professional accomplishments can you point to as indicators of your potential to succeed in a challenging graduate program?
- In what ways have you continued to educate yourself outside the formal context of a college or university? Are there any particular thinkers, books, art works, or other learning experiences which have made an important impact on your intellectual growth since you earned your undergraduate degree?
MALS Admission Essay: Part II
For Part II, please write a two page essay in which you explain your hopes and expectations as a student in the MALS program. Please answer these three questions as concretely as possible.
- How does this program fit into the present stage of your personal and intellectual development?
- What do you hope to accomplish by completing this program of study?
- What particular quality or talents would you bring to this program that would enrich the educational experience of other MALS students?