DePaul University College of LAS > Academics > Philosophy > Student Resources > Advising


Who is my advisor?

If you have declared Philosophy as your major, you can view the name of your faculty advisor via CampusConnect, ForStudents/Advising Resources/View My Advisor. Faculty advisors can help you choose courses which fit your major and your career goals. Contact your faculty advisor directly to make an appointment. Please bring a copy of your current or updated credit evaluation and unofficial transcript to the meeting. You can view your unofficial transcript via CampusConnect, or obtain a copy at University Registrar.​

Can I change advisors?

Yes. You can choose any full-time Philosophy faculty member to be your advisor. If you'd like to change your advisor, simply send an e-mail to  Include your DePaul ID number and the name of the faculty member you'd like to have as your advisor.

How do I declare a major, minor, or concentration?

Declare you major, minor or concentrations by completing the online form. We recommend that students declare their major by the end of sophomore year.

How many credits is each class worth?

Most DePaul courses are worth 4 quarter hours of credit. The full-time student tuition package includes 12-18 quarter hours. We recommend that students take four courses (16 quarter hours) each quarter, if their schedule allows. This ensures that students are receiving the most value for their money and staying on track for graduation.

Can you explain inter-college transfers?

The Inter-College Transfer (ICT) process allows students to transfer within DePaul University from one school to another. This is an automated process initiated by the student. Once the ICT application is approved, the student, the current school/college and the new school/college are all notified via email regarding the change of program. 
If you would like to speak with an academic advisor about other colleges or majors, please contact the Office for Academic Advising Support (OAAS) at 773/325.7431, or visit the Lincoln Park Campus office location in Schmidt Academic Center 192 or the Loop Campus office location in DePaul Center 9500.

Inter-College Transfer Requirements:

  1. Applies only to admitted degree seeking undergraduates.
  2. You must be currently enrolled (have not been absent 3 consecutive quarters, excluding summer sessions)
  3. A minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.000
  4. A minimum of 12 quarter hours earned as a degree seeking student at DePaul. Those hours must be posted on a DePaul official transcript.
  5. Students wishing to transfer to Music, Theatre or SNL must also meet the interview and/or audition requirements of those schools.
  6. GPA and credit hour requirements may not apply to students intending to transfer to the School for New Learning. Students should see an SNL advisor.
  7. Current students preferring to transfer to the College of Education must meet the current cumulative GPA requirement of 2.5. Students whose GPA is below 2.5 must contact the School of Education advising office at 773/325.4409.
  8. Students who wish to apply for housing as a result of their inter-college transfer must contact the Department of Housing Services after the transfer has been approved.

  • To complete the inter-college transfer process online, log on to Campus Connection. 
  • For a step by step walkthrough, see Initiating an Inter College Transfer

Questions? Send an email to

What is my class standing?

Class standing is determined by credit hours earned. 
Freshman = 0-43 
Sophomore = 44-87 
Junior = 88-131 
Senior = 132 +

What is the Liberal Studies Program (LSP)?

The Liberal Studies Program (LSP) is comprised of courses that enhance your educational experience. Unlike your chosen major, which provides in depth knowledge in a single focused area, LSP courses give you a breadth of scholarship across many different areas.  For more information, please visit the LSP website.

When are LSP courses taken?

LSP courses begin upon arrival at DePaul with your Chicago Quarter course, and continue during the entire first year as you take your Writing Courses, a Focal Point Seminar, and Mathematical and Technology Literacy courses (depending on your major or college requirements). Together, these classes orient you to DePaul and prepare you for continuing academic success.

During the sophomore year, there is a Multicultural Seminar requirement and in the junior year, an Experiential Learning requirement (e.g., study abroad, field internships, research), both of which can be applied to complement or strengthen other fields of interests. In the senior year, a Capstone Course culminates your educational experience at DePaul into a single final project. 

Across all years of study, you also take two to three courses from six broadly defined domains of intellectual inquiry: 1) Arts and Literature, 2) Philosophical Inquiry, 3) Religious Dimensions, 4) Self, Society, and the Modern World, 5) Scientific Inquiry, and 6) Understanding the Past. (Note: You should carefully review the specific requirements in your chosen major as minor variations do exist in what students take.)

How do credits transfer from other colleges or universities?

Transferology is a nation-wide networ​k that gives you detailed information on how your learning experiences transfer to higher education institutions. Transferology gives you quick answers on how your college credits will transfer to DePaul. Set up an account, add your coursework, and get your results immediately. For more information on Transferology, visit the Office of Financial Affairs.​

How many credits qualify me as a full-time student?

A 12 quarter hour course load (4 four credit courses) is required for undergraduate students to maintain full-time status for purposes of financial aid.  Half Time status is defined as 6.  Self-service Enrollment Certificates are available through CampusConnection.

What are the requirements for placement testing in writing, math & language?

All new undergraduate DePaul students are required to complete placement tests in Math, Writing and Modern Languages.  These placement tests ensure you are registered in a course that best builds on your current skills so that you can succeed in your studies at DePaul.  
See University Registrar​ for further information.

How many credits are needed to graduate?

Minimum number of credits to graduate is 192; however program and college requirements must also be met.  If student is a double major or minor, then those requirements must also be met.

What are the requirements to remain in good standing and be eligible for the dean’s list?

Students who maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA are in good standing. Full-time students who earn a minimum term GPA of 3.5 will be placed on the Dean’s List.

What is academic probation? Are student dismissed from the University?

Any student who fails to maintain a 2.000 (C) cumulative grade point average is on academic probation. A student is removed from academic probation when the cumulative grade point average reaches the required minimum of 2.000(C). Ordinarily the student will not be permitted to be on academic probation for longer than two consecutive quarters. Academic disciplinary action including dismissal from the university may be taken by the dean of student's home college or school in accordance with the degree of the student's academic deficiency.

How can I re-take a class? When should I re-take a class?

Undergraduate students may have the need to repeat courses. When that occurs, all grades achieved are recorded on the academic record. Upon the initial repeat, only the second grade will be used to determine cumulative credit and to calculate the GPA. If a student repeats that course again, the second and all subsequent grades will be used to calculate the GPA. Credit earned is based on the final attempt. A course must be repeated at DePaul in order for this policy to apply. Students may retake a course in transfer that was originally completed at DePaul. The DePaul grade remains in the GPA, but credit is only accumulated once. 
Note: No lower than a "C–" grade is acceptable in a student’s major providing the overall GPA in the major is 2.0.

How do I get permission to take 5+ classes?

The maximum number of classes a student may register for on their own is 5 courses; however overrides are possible if the student has earned up to 44 credit hours, has taken 4 classes successfully and has a 3.0 GPA.  Students must fill out a 20+ hour permission form.

How do I get permission to add to a closed class?

Permission must be given by the instructor in writing.  The student must request the overenroll in writing via e-mail or add form and must include the following:  student ID#, class section, class title, class#.  Send an initial e-mail request to the instructor of the class to request permission, then the instructor or a designated alternate will e-mail the overenroll to

May I take a class pass/fail?

Under the pass/fail option a student who has at least Sophomore standing and who is not on academic probation may register for one pass/fail course each term. A maximum of 20 quarter hours may be taken under the pass/fail option. Grades A through D represent passing performance.  Written permission to use the pass/fail option must be obtained from the student’s academic advisor or from his or her college or school office prior to the beginning of the third week of the quarter. For courses of four weeks or less in duration, approval must be obtained before the second class meeting of the course. The option is limited to no more than one course in any one department.  Only elective courses can be taken Pass/Fail, not Liberal Studies or Major Field courses. 

The pass/fail option may not be used for the following categories of courses:

  • courses taken to meet Liberal Studies requirements;     
  • courses taken to meet requirements of a student’s major, minor, or allied field. 
  • developmental courses, including those offered through the Writing, Reading, and Computation program and WRD 101 and WRD 102.

If the course is passed, the credit hours earned are entered on the student’s record; the grade is not included in computing the student’s grade point average. If the course is failed, the F grade is recorded on the student’s record and the credit hours attempted are included in computing the student’s grade point average.

What are the registration and withdrawal deadlines?

Academic calendar deadline dates are based on the following formulas. These formulas are particularly important for classes that meet outside the standard (10 week term plus finals week) start and end dates for a term. Please consult your college office for specific dates relevant to your class. View the academic calendar​

  • Students may not add classes after 10% of the scheduled class has elapsed.
  • Students who drop a class or classes after 20% of the scheduled class has elapsed will be responsible for 100% tuition and a grade of W will be assigned. 
  • Students may not select a Pass/Fail grading option after 20% of the scheduled class has elapsed.  
  • Students may not select Audit (non-credit) grading option after 30% of the scheduled class has elapsed.
  • Students may not withdraw from classes after 70% of the scheduled class has elapsed.

What can you do with a Philosophy major?

At the heart of a liberal arts education is the belief that college should prepare one to live a fuller, more examined, and more deliberate life, rather than simply prepare one for a job.  The goal of education is not just to prepare students to be good workers but also to prompt them to ask about the value and meaning of work in their lives.  From this perspective, a philosophy major can be seen as good preparation for life, not just for a career.  Philosophy majors choose philosophy because they enjoy it and find it enriching.  Nonetheless, majoring in philosophy does not necessarily entail a life of poverty and working in coffee shops.  The choice between studying something you enjoy and studying something “practical” is a false dilemma.

Good employers care more about how potential employees learn and think rather than what they already know. Your future job probably will not require technical knowledge of Kant, but that is true of almost all majors.  Most professions require specific knowledge acquired on the job and interesting jobs require one to continually learn new things, not rely on what was learned in college.  Students of philosophy develop critical thinking and learning skills essential to most careers: the ability to construct good arguments, to analyze concepts and draw out their consequences, to find and evaluate hidden assumptions.  Philosophy majors learn to convey these abilities effectively in writing and in discussion.  They learn to read difficult texts and to see questions and answers from a variety of perspectives.  These abilities are prized by good employers and philosophy majors are hired even in such fields as banking, consulting, and marketing.  Other careers for which philosophy provides particularly good training are law, teaching, journalism, publishing, and public policy.  A philosophy major (or minor) in addition to a more technical major can make one particularly attractive on the job market.

Many philosophy majors continue on to graduate or professional school.  Some study philosophy in graduate school so that they can teach and study it as a career.  Others go on to law school.  The skills required for a career in law are the same as those required by the study of philosophy, and philosophy majors usually score higher on the LSAT exam (for law school) than other common pre-law majors.  Philosophy majors are also among the highest scorers on the GMAT exam (for business school) and the GRE exam (for graduate schools).  Not many philosophy majors go on to medical school, but when they do, they are accepted at a higher rate than biology majors.

Students graduating with a philosophy major have many career options, but these take some thought and creativity to find and pursue.  A few classes or an internship in a more technical field can be quite helpful.  You should visit DePaul’s Career Center sometime well before you graduate.  They can help you become more aware of your options and suggest steps towards getting the kind of job you want.  The Career Center can also help those considering graduate and professional schools, as can your professors in the department. 

Here are some helpful resources, at DePaul and elsewhere:

 - DePaul University’s Career Center 
 - Pre-Law Study at DePaul University 
 - Fordham University’s “Careers and Philosophy” 
 - University of Florida’s “Philosophy Major’s Career Handbook” 
 - UC Berkeley's "For the love of wisdom, philosophy majors grow in number at UC Berkeley"

LAS Dean's Office Contact Information

The Dean's Office, Liberal Arts & Social Sciences
900 W. Fullerton Ave., Suite 4200
Chicago, IL 60614
Main: 773.325.7300

This office runs the Undergraduate Research Assistant Program (URAP) and the Summer Undergraduate Research Grant (SURG) programs.

Lucy Rinehart
Interim Dean and Associate Professor of English

Cathy O'Brien
Executive Assistant to the Dean

Warren Schultz
Associate Dean and Professor of History

Shajuan Young
Assistant to the Associate Dean