Each academic year students from all First-Year Writing courses are invited to submit their work to the annual Writing Showcase at DePaul. This event celebrates the role of writing and writers in our academic, public, and private lives.
The Writing Showcase honors the work of students and faculty in First-Year Program courses. A panel of judges from across the university will invite authors of the outstanding entries to display their work. Beyond the honor of being featured in the Showcase, student authors will also receive awards funded by DePaul’s colleges. Attendance at the event is open to members of the DePaul community, their friends and families, and the general public. A panel of judges from across the university will invite authors of outstanding entries to display their work.
Who can enter
Current DePaul students may enter work written for the following courses:
- FYSW 102
- WRD 102, 102x, 103, 103x, 104 and 104x
- Focal Point Seminars LSP 112
- Discover LSP 110 and Explore Chicago LSP 111
- Honors 100, 110, 111 and 180
- Quantitative Reasoning LSP 120
Texts may include
- Essays (including narrative, analytical, reflective, critical, researched, and others)
- Digication Portfolios
- Multimodal Projects
- Reports and interviews from field work
The First-Year Program Library Research Prize
- This separate prize (research essays only) recognizes outstanding achievement in the application of information literary skills in developing search strategies, using information resources and evaluating materials. For more information, visit the University Library website.
How to submit
- Fill out the First Year Programs Writing Showcase entry form.
- Group projects should submit a single entry that lists all authors and designates a contactperson for the group.
- After submitting the form you will receive an email within three business days with instructions on how to upload your entry to Digication for judging.
- Writers may submit up to two writing projects.
You will then receive further instructions via email on how to upload your entry to a specific Digication Community site based on your entry type (individual essay, portfolio, multimodal project, etc.)
Writing Program Director: Erin Workman
For questions about uploading your entry, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org