College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Academics > History of Art & Architecture > Student Resources > Advising > Questions about Transfer Credit

Questions about Transfer Credit

A maximum of 132 transfer hours (quarter hours) are potentially applicable to an undergraduate degree at DePaul. This includes transfer courses taken at both community colleges and other four-year institutions. Of the 132 quarter hours, a maximum of 99 quarter hours earned at a community college may be applied to a DePaul University degree. CLEP, International Baccalaureate and/or AP credits combined with transfer credits from two-year institutions will total no more than 99 hours and combined with credits from four-year institutions will total no more than 132 hours. Additional information on types of transfer work accepted is available under Transfer Credit Regulations. For more information see the Undergraduate Student Handbook.

At least the last 60 quarter hours must be earned in residency at DePaul University. The senior year residency requirement excludes the application of CLEP, AP or IB credits to the final 60 credit hours of course work. At least one half of the major field course work must be completed at DePaul. The Department of History of Art and Architecture strongly recommends that at least half of the major field course work completed at DePaul be at the 300-level.

Potentially, with permission from the History of Art and Architecture chair. For credit consideration, send the course description and syllabus to Mark DeLancey.  Note that half of major and/or minor field courses must be taken at DePaul University. The Transfer Credit Approval Request, as well as other administrative forms, are available through the "Forms" section of the LAS Undergraduate website.

You can often get this information from the Transfer Guides and Transfer Course Lists.  More information is available at the Admission and Aid Transfer Center.

Please remember, however, that there are limits to the number of courses that you can transfer, and all courses taken by DePaul students at other institutions must be approved for application toward DePaul degree requirements. See the other questions and answers about transfer credit in this FAQ.

Domain electives can be any approved Liberal Studies Learning Domain courses outside your major field, except those for which you have already received equivalent credit.
This varies widely from student to student depending on the circumstances. Transfer allocation is done by the LAS College Office. They accept the Illinois Articulation Initiative General Education Core Curriculum (IAI GECC) as a general education core if a student successfully completes the IAI curriculum before transferring and this is indicated on the student's official transcript. In addition to the IAI “package,” however, these students must also complete the Experiential Learning requirement and the fourth-year Senior Capstone seminar, as well as four upper-level domain electives chosen in consultation with a DePaul University academic advisor. Students who have not completed at least two Religious Dimensions and two Philosophical Inquiry courses must incorporate these courses into the four required domain electives.  LSP 200 may substitute for one of these from required domain electives.
Appeals of transfer credit allocation may be filed with the LAS College Office. Confer with your faculty advisor in the Department of History of Art and Architecture about this. 

Please note that students cannot earn credit for the same class through both transfer credit and a DePaul course. Thus, students should be careful NOT to enroll in any courses for which they have already been granted (or expect to receive) transfer credit.
Courses are placed this way by the College Office according to guidelines set by the University Articulation Coordinator. These decisions are made in the College Office, which has guidelines in place for substituting transfer credit on the student transcript. In these cases, the courses are not equivalent to DePaul courses. Sometimes, the college will request a syllabus of the course taken at another university to determine its eligibility for DePaul credit (particularly Liberal Studies credit). You may begin the appeal of a placement by sending an email request to:

Note: A transfer student is defined as someone having between 30 and 132 hours of transfer credit applied to their DePaul record.​