An internship position must be within the student’s field of study—giving them opportunities to build skills while exploring career issues and interests. The position should involve substantial interaction with professional staff and/or supervisory personnel who can provide guidance and mentoring.
- An internship must have significant responsibilities which provide the student with an opportunity to explore and foster career development.
- The internship must have a duration of at least 10 weeks, with students working at least 10 hours per week.
- Workloads must include at least two learning objectives/responsibilities that provide experience in the student's major/minor.
- The position should not entail more than 25% clerical work.
- It should involve substantial interaction with professional staff and/or supervisory personnel who can provide guidance and discuss the organization's vision, goals and objectives.