For both the MFA and MA, a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is required. For admission, a student should have:
- A strong record of previous academic achievement.
- Relevant course work in creative writing or experience such as publishing original work and/or participating in a writers’ group that has resulted in a body of creative writing.
Students apply to both the MA and the MFA simultaneously. MA students may apply to the MFA after two quarters of graduate study with the recommendation of the faculty and an updated writing sample.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A completed online application.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- A résumé that summarizes your education and relevant experience.
- A reflective essay, from 500 to 750 words long, describing your objectives in applying to DePaul’s Graduate Program in Creative Writing and Publishing and your plans for the future. The admission committee takes this statement seriously, so please be as specific as possible about how and why this program would help you reach your creative and professional goals.
- A portfolio (approximately 25 pages, double-spaced) of representative creative writing. You may submit creative nonfiction, fiction, poetry, or a combination. If you are submitting poetry, please ensure that at least half of your portfolio contains samples of your prose writing. Portfolio documents should be stapled, not sent in bound or laminated form. Include your name at the top of each portfolio page.
- Two letters of recommendation.
Students educated outside of the U.S. must provide a credit evaluation and proof of English proficiency by submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score. Visit the program website or go.depaul.edu/lasinternational for more information.
How to Apply
Online applications can be submitted at go.depaul.edu/apply. Application credentials can be submitted through the online application or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, official electronic transcripts can be emailed to email@example.com directly by the issuing institution. Please make sure your name is on all documents.
Transcripts and other required credentials also can be mailed to:
The Office of Graduate Admission
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
2400 N. Sheffield Ave., Chicago, IL 60614
We accept applications all year round, and students may begin their studies in any academic term. We strongly suggest that students submit their applications 10 to 12 weeks prior to the quarter in which they wish to begin their studies (i.e., June for fall entry, late October for winter entry, early January for spring entry).
Learn more about Graduate Admission.
Ready to apply?
If you need assistance to complete your application and/or have questions, contact the LAS Graduate Admission office at (773) 325-7315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate Admission Questions?
Contact us with questions you may have concerning the graduate admission process. We will work with you to ensure you are ready to take the next step.
Click to message us