College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Student Resources > New Graduate Students > International Next Steps

International Next Steps

1.  Submit required documentation to obtain I-20 or DS-2019 (F-1 and J-1 Students).

Admitted international students seeking an F-1 or J-1 student visa must submit the following documents:

  • a copy of the identification page of your passport,
  • a complete Financial Affidavit of Support Form (available online after admission),
  • and original financial documents showing your ability to afford tuition and living expenses (through personal expenses or a sponsor). Please note that the Financial Affidavit of Support Form and original bank statement verifying the availability of funds cannot be more than six months old. In addition, all documents must be written in English or accompanied by an official translation. Promissory notes or employers statement of estimated earnings will not be accepted.

If you are currently in F-1 visa status and attending another school, college, university or English language program in the U.S. and are admitted to DePaul University, you must receive a new DePaul I-20 form and must submit the following documents in addition to the documents listed above: 

  • a copy of your current or expired student visa page of passport,
  • a copy of the front and back of your I-94 card,
  • a copy of your current or previous I-20 form ,
  • a completed Transfer Release Form (provided upon admission),
  • and a copy of EAD card if you are currently on OPT.

You must receive your new DePaul I-20 within 60 days of completing your studies at your current institution. The documents outlined above are not requirements for admission but are necessary for the issuance of your I-20 form. Please note that I-20 forms can only be issued to students who are accepted to DePaul in a full-time, degree-seeking program.

Once a student is accepted, the Office of Graduate Admission will send each student an email listing the next steps to take, the specific documents you will need to submit in order to obtain your I-20 or DS-2019, as well as the website to which you may log on and submit all of the required documents. All admitted students are encouraged to submit their documents online. If you are unable to do so, you may email your documents to our office at

2.  Review International Student and Scholar Services pre-arrival information. 

International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) pre-arrival information provides important preparation details for your arrival in the U.S. It contains information about ISS, applying for a student visa, housing, health insurance, course registration, orientation (mandatory), financial matters and immunization requirements. Please be sure to read all the available information before your arrival.

For information on tuition and payment plan options, please visit the DePaul Central website.

3. Report to the Office of International Students and Scholars upon arrival.  

All international students in F-1 and J-1 visa status who are new to DePaul University are required to report to International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) upon arrival in the U.S. Please visit the International Admission website for specific instructions and documents required for check-in.

Please note: International students will not be eligible to register for classes until they have checked in with ISS upon arrival in the U.S.

4. Log in to Campus Connect.

You can find your Campus Connect user ID and initial password at the bottom of your admission letter. If you have misplaced or discarded that letter, you can also obtain your user ID and password by contacting the Technology Support Center at (312) 362-8765. Obtaining your user ID and password is the first step in registering for classes and accessing information and resources made available to admitted students through DePaul's Campus Connect. You may also obtain your user ID and password by visiting one of DePaul's ID Card Services locations.

5.  Attend international student orientation.

International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) will host a new student orientation that covers important information regarding your F-1 and/or J-1 non-immigrant student visa status especially as it relates to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).

If you have been issued a SEVIS I-20 Form and/or a SEVIS DS-2019 Form, you must attend the ISS new student orientation. The ISS orientation is mandatory for all international students who are new to DePaul University (this includes students transferring from another U.S. university). Remember that this orientation is different and separate from the orientation you may be required to attend by your academic department. Learn more and register for the ISS new student orientation.
6. Participate in program orientation session and academic advising.

In addition to the mandatory International Student and Scholar Services (ISS) orientation, many academic departments also require new graduate students to attend a program-specific orientation session. Orientation sessions are usually held in the fall; however, some programs will offer orientation sessions at different times throughout the academic year. An invitation to orientation will be sent to you via email. Please contact your academic department directly for information regarding orientation or if you have any questions. 

Degree-seeking students should also consult their admission packet or program website for information on course selection and sequence. If this information was not included, students should contact their department's graduate program director or the Office of Graduate Admission at (773) 325-7315 or for assistance.

7. Obtain DePaul ID card, email account and U-Pass.

After you have registered for classes, you may obtain a photo ID card and DePaul email account. The ID card functions as a library card and is required for entry into some buildings and computer labs. To obtain your ID card, you will need to visit one of the ID Card Services locations.

All students are provided a free DePaul email account. Accounts can be created and accessed at Free online training for your email account is available.

Students who are enrolled full-time may be eligible for a U-Pass, which greatly reduces the cost of rides on the CTA. All eligible students are automatically enrolled in the program and are responsible for picking up the U-Pass and paying the CTA fee. Eligibility is determined based on your academic program, credit hours and course locations as it appears on your registration. For more information, please visit the U-Pass website.

8. Only for International applicants with degrees in progress when admitted:
If you were admitted to a program before completing your undergraduate degree, you will need to send final transcripts documenting completion and conferral of your bachelor's degree to the credit evaluation company you used for the initial credit evaluation. The evaluation company will send us a final evaluation with copies of your transcripts that we will accept as official. Please do not send official final transcripts to the Office of Graduate Admission.

Questions about your admission?

Please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at or by phone at (773) 325-7315.