The department of history incoming applications for the History MA program on a rolling basis. Students may begin the program in any quarter.
To be eligible for admission students must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
To apply for admission, please submit the following:
- A completed online application
- Official transcripts from all previous college course work
- Letter of application (500 word maximum). Please write a letter of application in which you address the following:
- Why you want to pursue an M.A. in history
- Why you want to study at DePaul University
- Anything else the evaluators should know about your qualifications that is not reflected elsewhere in the application
- Writing sample. An analytical paper of at least five pages in length that you wrote for an undergraduate or graduate history course OR an original essay (five pages) that analyzes a book written by an academic historian.
- Two letters of recommendation. The most useful letters are those written by professors with whom you have worked, preferably in a history class.
- All recommenders should address your writing abilities, analytical skills, motivation and readiness for graduate study, ability to do independent work, and ability to see a project through to completion.
- GRE scores (only required for applicants with a GPA lower than 3.3 in their undergraduate studies; institution code 1165)
How to Apply
Online applications can be submitted at go.depaul.edu/apply.
Transcripts and other required credentials should be mailed to:
The Office of Graduate Admission
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
2400 N. Sheffield Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614.
Application credentials (including official electronic transcripts) also can be emailed to the Office of Graduate Admission .
*Please make sure your legal name is on all submitted documents.
International students interested in applying should review the international graduate admission page for more information about credential evaluation and document submission, which can be found here: Graduate International Student Admission. For more information about the minimum TOEFL scores required, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission or at (773) 325-7315.
Please note the information provided is current as of February 2016 and is subject to change.
Learn more about Graduate Admission.
Ready to apply?
If you need assistance to complete your application and/or have questions, contact the LAS Graduate Admission office at (773) 325-7315 or email@example.com.