All applicants are advised to apply as early as possible as admission is limited and selective. Applicants are encouraged to enroll starting in the Autumn quarter in order to stay on track with their cohorts. As all MSW Program students complete their internships in Spring Quarter, courses taken prior to the Fall Quarter or during the summer terms will not result in in early graduation.
For admission in the Autumn Quarter, the deadline for two-year applicants is April 1, while the four-year applicants should have applications begun by July 1.
The program's admission criteria center on assessing readiness for graduate education and readiness for the profession of social work. The MSW program's admission eligibility requirements include the following:
- graduation from an accredited baccalaureate institution
- overall minimum of 2.7 GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
- potential for professional success as demonstrated by references and/or relevant paid or non-paid professional experience
- demonstrated commitment to the aims and goals of the profession of social work (as demonstrated by references, select academic study, experience, and/or special insight which can be demonstrated in the narrative portions of the admission application).
International students (those who were educated outside of the U.S. and/or require an F1 visa)
must take additional steps to be considered for admission. Please visit the International Admission page
for exact information.
MSW Program Application Process
Applicants to the MSW Program begin by completing the DePaul online application. Applicants are then contacted by the Graduate Admission Office with a checklist of supplementary materials required to complete the application. Current required materials are:
- Personal Statement (four essay questions accessible through the online application)
- Two references (references may be submitted by letter, email, or the online application's reference tool) from supervisors or instructors who have known you for at least a year. One reference should address your work or professional potential while the second reference should address your academic potential. If you cannot provide the two types of references, please explain your circumstances in a cover letter attached to the application.
- Official Transcripts from each educational institution you have attended. While there are no specific course pre-requisites for admission, transcripts are reviewed for completion of baccalaureate-level course work in the areas of:
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Mathematics and/or Statistics
- Natural Sciences
- Arts & Humanities
- An updated resume or C.V.
- A non-refundable application processing fee of $40.00.
All paper materials should be mailed to:
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
Office of Graduate Admission
2400 N. Sheffield Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614.
Application materials can also be emailed to the Office of Graduate Admission at GradDePaul@depaul.edu (this includes colleges and universities that issue official electronic transcripts).
Please make sure your name is on all documents.
Learn more about Graduate Admission.
Ready to apply?
If you need assistance to complete your application and/or have questions, contact the LAS Graduate Admission office at (773) 325-7315 or email@example.com.