Applications are now being accepted.
A joint MSW/MA in Women’s and Gender Studies offers a unique program with a focus on gender, community, and social justice. It will provide students with an excellent foundation for developing a women’s and gender studies-based social work career trajectory.
Applicants interested in the dual degree program will be reviewed by faculty from both departments. The application will be a combination of the programs' admission requirements. Priority deadline for applications for the MA in WGS Application is February 15, but we will continue to accept applications until April 1 which is the deadline for the MSW program. To apply, open the graduate College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Application and select the Social Work/Women's & Gender Studies (MSW-MA) on the Program Selection page. The admission requirements are listed below:
- Official transcripts from all previous college course work. A bachelor's degree (from a regionally accredited institution), or equivalent, is required.*
- Admission essay (750 words) in which you discuss your interest in the dual degree program.
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resume that summarizes your education and relevant experience.
- Two letters of recommendation (one academic and one professional).
- A writing sample (e.g., an upper-level undergraduate paper from a relevant course that indicates your preparedness for graduate study in our program).
*International applicants should visit the international admission webpage
for further details.
If you have any questions about the application or admission process, please contact the Office of Graduate Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org
for further details.
An overview of the curriculum is available here
. The students will complete the degree in three years rather than in four if they completed the degrees independently. The curriculum involves sharing four courses (16 credit hours) with two electives (8 credit hours) that are in the area of the student’s interest that will serve both degrees. The curriculum is aligned with MSW national accreditation standards.
As of January 2016 WGS will be offering 3 Graduate Assistantships
Students applying for the 2018-2019 academic year who would like to be
considered for a graduate assistantship must submit their application
materials by February 15, 2018. See the Call for Application for Graduate Assistantships
for additional info.