College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Centers & Institutes > Center for World Catholicism & Intercultural Theology > World Catholicism Week > 2020 Schedule
All conference sessions will be held at the following location on DePaul University's Lincoln Park Campus:
DePaul Student Center, Room 314B (map)2250 N. Sheffield Ave. Chicago, IL 60614
As a prelude to the conference, this interactive session features undergraduates from DePaul's Catholic Studies courses who are presenting their research on Catholicism and health care around the world; their research was evaluated by their professors as among the top in their courses. In addition, three of our conference speakers will be on hand to offer their feedback and comments following the presentations.
Words of Welcome: William T. Cavanaugh (CWCIT Director)
KEYNOTE—Catholic Health Care as a Global Force: What It Does, Could Do, and Must DoSr. Carol Keehan, DCImmediate Past President/CEO, Catholic Health Association (CHA)(Moderator: TBA)
*NOTE: We're working with the DePaul University Bookstore to have select titles written by our speakers available for purchase during these times.
• Alexandre Martins—The Centrality of the Sick, Poor, and Oppressed in Jesus' Mission• David Toole—The Morgue in the Garden of Eden: What Are Hospitals For?• Fr. Stan Chu Ilo—Rise Up & Walk: From Narratives of Contamination to Redemptive Narratives of Healing & Hope
• Sr. Maria Vasantha, MD—From a Rural & Christian Perspective in India• Fr. Bernhard Udelhoven, SMA—Perspectives from Zambia• Abraham Castañeda, MD, MPH and Carolina Martínez, MD—Challenges of a Rural Mission Hospital in Chiapas: Quality Care for a Vulnerable Indigenous Community(Moderator: TBA)
• Susan Nedza, MD, MBA—Accompaniment as the Catholic Medical Mission Model: Responding to the Call to "Go Forth"• Soojung Kim—The History & Mission of the Catholic Medical Center in Korea• Samuel Orach, MD—Catholic Health Care in Africa: Does the Giant Matter?
• Kochurani Abraham—Gendered Wounds that Clamor for Healing• Fr. Paulino Twesigye Mondo, MCCJ—Healing the Body of Christ in Africa: The Reach Out Mbuya HIV/AIDS Initiative• Renato da Silveira Borges Neto—Caring for Soul Aches: A Dialogue on Spirituality
• Bruce Compton—Social Justice & International Outreach: Dynamics of North-South Partnerships• Sr. Joan Mumaw, IHM—Solidarity with South Sudan: Paradigm of Promise in a Challenging Context• David Gaus, MD, MPH—Horizontality, Hegemony, and Health Care: Reflections on South-North Partnerships