For admission, students must have a bachelor's degree in English or the equivalent or a bachelor's degree in another major with clear evidence of the ability to succeed in an advanced program in British and American language and literature. Students without a bachelor's degree in English may be required to complete up to three upper-level courses in British or American literature with B+ grades or better before being admitted to the program. Students should have at least a 3.0 GPA in their undergraduate major. Scores for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are not required, but they may be submitted in order to strengthen an application. Students applying for graduate assistantships must submit GRE scores (see below).
To apply, please submit the following:
- A completed application.
- Official transcripts detailing course work from all colleges and universities you have attended. If you send transcripts directly to DePaul, they must be in a sealed envelope with the official registrar's stamp across the envelope flap.
- A personal statement of approximately 500 words, describing your relevant preparation and interest in literature, your immediate goals in applying to DePaul's MA in English program, and your plans for the future. (Students who have not completed a BA in English are encouraged to describe the strengths and weaknesses in their preparation for graduate work in English.)
- A representative sample of academic or professional writing that strongly indicates your ability to do well with advanced literary history and criticism.
- An application fee of $40. This fee can be paid online through the application portal or you may submit a check. Please make checks payable to DePaul University.
- Students applying for graduate assistantships should visit the department page for additional requirements.
- International students should also see the International Admission page for more information
We accept applications all year round, and students may begin their studies in any academic term. We strongly suggest that students submit their applications eight to ten weeks prior to the quarter in which they wish to begin their studies (late June for fall entry, late October for winter entry, mid-January for spring entry). Those students who wish to apply for graduate assistantships should submit their application materials no later than January 15 prior to the academic year for which they wish to receive an assistantship.
ALL application materials should be sent to the following address:
Office of Graduate Admission
College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences
2400 N. Sheffield Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
Application materials, can also be emailed to the Office of Graduate Admission at GradDePaul@depaul.edu (this includes colleges and universities that issue official electronic transcripts). Please make sure your name is on all documents. Letters of recommendation must be emailed directly from the recommender as an attached pdf document on letterhead with the recommender's signature.
Learn more about Graduate Admission.
Ready to apply?
If you need assistance to complete your application and/or have questions, contact the LAS Graduate Admission office at (773) 325-7315 or email@example.com.