Each spring, the English Department awards approximately 5-6 Graduate Assistantships for the upcoming academic year. Any current or prospective student in the MA in English, MA in Writing and Publishing, or either of the combined degree programs may apply for an assistantship.
Graduate Assistantships carry:
- Full tuition for up to 8 graduate-level courses taken for credit towards your degree during the academic year (up to 12 courses over two years if the award is renewed)
- A stipend of $7,500, payable September through May.
Graduate Assistants are assigned to work 20 hours per week at the Lincoln Park or Loop Campus during the fall, winter, and spring quarters. These assignments include:
- Tutoring/Working in DePaul's University Center for Writing-based Learning
- Performing editorial or administrative duties in support of the English Department and its publications and programs
- Maintaining a solid academic standing
To be considered for an assistantship, you must submit the following:
- A completed assistantship application form
- A 200-300 word personal statement outlining your qualifications and goals for an assistantship
- Two letters of recommendation from people familiar with your ability to perform academic work
- **Note about letters of recommendation:
- Letters of recommendation can be sent directly to us at the address below
- MAWP students may use the letters of recommendation submitted with their program application. Please include a note in your Graduate Assistant application indicating that you would like us to access those letters.
- A copy of the writing sample that you submitted with your program application
- MAE applicants only: official scores of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test results sent electronically to DePaul's LA&S Graduate Admissions Office (Institution Code: 1165)
Submission of Materials:
Please send all Graduate Assistant application materials (application form, personal statement, letters of recommendation if you have not submitted them with your program application, and a copy of your writing sample) together in one envelope to the address below:
Department of English
2315 N. Kenmore Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614-3214
January 22, 2019* - Deadline for submitting Graduate Assistant applications.
January 22, 2019* - Deadline for submitting MAE or MAWP applications if you are planning to also apply for a Graduate Assistantship.
*These deadlines have been extended from January 15, 2019
If you have additional questions about admission to the MAE or MAWP or about applying for a Graduate Assistantship, please contact either Professor June Hee Chung at 773-325-4089 for the MA in English program, or Professor Rebecca Johns Trissler at 773-325-1762 for the MA or MFA in Writing and Publishing program.