College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Academics > History > Student Resources > Advising FAQ > Foreign Language and Study Abroad

Foreign Language and Study Abroad

There is no separate foreign language requirement for the History Department apart from the Modern Language Requirement (MLR) for all College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences students pursuing a BA degree. The LAS modern language requirement may be met in any of the following ways:

  • completing the last course in a four-year high school sequence of a non-English language
  • completing the last course in the first-year college sequence of a non-English language
  • completing a college course beyond the first-year level in a non-English language
  • placing into the second year (or higher) on a DePaul Modern Language placement exam (e.g. receiving a score that would indicated placement into SPN 104 or higher) 
  • achieving a satisfactory rating in a language proficiency examination accepted by DePaul University
  • scoring a 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement (AP) test of a non-English language
  • scoring 5 or higher on the Language B assessment from a Standard or Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) program in a non-English language
  • achieving a satisfactory score on the CLEP evaluation in a non-English language

Note: American Sign Language (ASL) qualifies as a modern language.

Note: Please see the Department of Modern Languages' guide to placement tests here.

Note: Transfer students will need to provide official high school transcripts in order to use high school coursework to meet the non-English language requirement. (For students who applied to DePaul as high school students, the university already has a copy of the high school transcript.)

Foreign language ability is an important tool for many students of history, and the History Department supports foreign language study. 

“Language for Liberal Studies” is an option that allows students to substitute additional language courses (beyond the minimum required of all BA students in LAS) for Liberal Studies requirements. This provides students some additional flexibility. There are some restrictions, but this can be a great opportunity for students, especially those who might not have the space in their “open electives” to develop their foreign language skills.   

For further information about the “Language for Liberal Studies” option, please visit this website.

Please see the Modern Language Department’s guide for taking placement tests here. If you are seeking to test in a language not regularly taught at DePaul, please see this information provided by the Modern Languages Department about testing for some accommodations: Modern Language Proficiency.

Be aware that all languages are taught in sequence with the quarters, with 101/201 sections available in the Autumn Quarter, 102/202 in the Winter, and 103/203 in the Spring. It is thus important to plan carefully.

Even if you are comfortable speaking in a foreign language, you still need to have your language skills assessed. Heritage speakers of Spanish should take the “Heritage Spanish” examination, intended to assess students with a more in-depth knowledge of Spanish, either as a native speaker or as a result of using the language in everyday life. For all other languages, please see this website.

Yes! The Warren and Jennifer Schultz Endowed Study Abroad Fund is available to DePaul History majors who are in good academic standing, have financial need, and are participating in a DePaul-sponsored study abroad program. The purpose is to support study abroad program fees. There are usually two application cycles per year. For more information (including the next due date) and to apply, please go to the scholarship connect site and then search for keyword “history”; then select "Warren and Jennifer Schultz Endowed Study Abroad Fund."

If you plan carefully, studying abroad should not prevent a student from graduating in four years.  But it is advisable to begin researching programs early in order to make the best decisions. See the Study Abroad website at

DePaul students are eligible to participate in non-DePaul Study Abroad programs, but this will require arranging for the credit earned abroad to be transferred in from the sponsoring institution. See the “Transfer Credit” section of the Study Abroad website ( for details. You are very strongly encouraged to seek this permission in advance of attending any non-DePaul Study Abroad program to make sure that the credits will be applicable toward DePaul degree requirements.