College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Academics > Islamic World Studies > Student Resources > Advising > General Advising Questions

General Advising Questions

for information about how to declare an Islamic World Studies Major or Minor via Campus Connect, please review the LAS Declaration of Major, Minor & Concentration page.
You can find your advisor in Campus Connect via the following path:

          Main Menu >> Self Service >> Student Center >> My Advisors

For all Islamic World Studies Studies Majors and Minors, your advisor is Dr. Mark DeLancey

You can review the Major requirements in the University Catalog at the following link:

Students are always free to email the Program Director, Dr. Mark DeLanceyto schedule an appointment. Additionally, the Program Director will send an email to all Islamic World Studies Majors and Minors in the fourth week of each quarter as a reminder to schedule an advising appointment. While optional, students are strongly encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity.

You can review the Minor requirements in the University Catalog at the following link:

It is encouraged that you meet with your advisor at least once per quarter, particularly to consult when scheduling classes for the upcoming quarter. You should also feel free to schedule an advising appointment at anytime that you may have questions or concerns regarding your Islamic World Studies Major or Minor, other academic issues, or post-graduation plans. Students who are considering a degree change or are looking to apply for degree conferral and graduation should schedule an appointment with their advisor before taking action.
  • 44 credit hours is considered sophomore status
  • 88 credit hours is considered junior status
  • 132 credit hours is considered senior status
Yes, but it is not generally advisable as this is an extremely heavy workload and your grades may suffer as a result. Students who intend to enroll in more than 20 credit hours in a quarter must apply to the LAS College Office for permission using the 20+ Hour Request Form. There will also be additional tuition charged for enrolling in more than 18 credit hours.
The normal limit is 5 courses (20 credit hours) per quarter. Students must apply to the LAS College Office for permission to take more than 20 hours using the 20+ Hour Request Form.

In the summer, a student may take a maximum of 5 courses (20 credit hours).

In December session, there is no cap for the number of courses in which a student may enroll, although it would difficult to manage more than two courses considering the accelerated pace and workload. Courses taken in December session, however, will be billed with winter quarter tuition and may result in additional tuition charged.
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Science defines an Independent Study course as one “taken with faculty supervision for knowledge enhancement beyond the courses offered in a particular area of interest. In rare cases, when scheduling or other conflicts exist, a regular course may be taken as an Independent Study.” Students may approach a faculty member about doing an Independent Study. If the instructor agrees, the student must next submit an Independent Study application. Only upon College approval will the Independent Study go forward.
Students with at least Sophomore standing who wish to take a course either pass/fail or audit must complete a Pass/Fail or Audit Request Form and receive approval from their departmental advisors or the LAS Undergraduate College Office.
According to DePaul's Student Handbook undergraduate students may have the need to repeat courses. When that occurs, all grades achieved are recorded on the academic record. Upon the initial repeat, only the second grade will be used to determine cumulative credit and to calculate the GPA. If a student repeats that course again, the second and all subsequent grades will be used to calculate the GPA. Credit earned is based on the final attempt. A course must be repeated at DePaul in order for this policy to apply. Students may retake a course in transfer that was originally completed at DePaul. The DePaul grade remains in the GPA, but credit is only accumulated once.

Note: No grade lower than a "C–" is acceptable in a student’s major, minor or allied field. For additional information see graduation requirements.

In order to provide a forum for the fair resolution of academic disputes involving individual students and appropriateness of course grades, procedures have been developed and will be applied to all cases involving DePaul University students. All grade challenges in LAS must be filed by using the Grade Challenge Form available on the Undergraduate Advising Forms site. To challenge a grade received in a DePaul class, follow the procedures outlined in DePaul's Undergraduate Course Catalog.

Students seeking exemption from a University academic policy or requirement must complete an Application for Petition for Exception to Policy.

If a student has experienced medical or personal circumstances that negatively impact their ability to be academically successful, the Dean of Students Office offers the Appeal for Course Withdrawal form which contains appeal policies and instructions and should be completed only after all other resources have been explored.

If a student is requesting late course withdrawal for reasons unrelated to medical or personal circumstances, then the student must complete a Late Course Withdrawal form. The Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Undergraduate College Office will follow strict guidelines for late withdrawal requests and will consult with relevant offices if necessary. Guidelines for late withdrawals are included in the form. Late withdrawals are only granted under documented, extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control.

Students who are seeking an incomplete in order to have extra time to finish course requirements should review the Incomplete Policy in the University Catalog before requesting an incomplete from the professor.