College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Academics > Islamic World Studies > Student Resources > Advising > Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit

What is the total number of credits that I can transfer to DePaul?

A maximum of 132 transfer hours (quarter hours) will be applicable to any undergraduate degree at DePaul. This includes transfer courses taken at both community colleges and other four-year institutions. Of the 132 quarter hours, a maximum of 99 quarter hours earned at a community college may be applied to a DePaul University degree. CLEP, International Baccalaureate and/or AP credits combined with transfer credits from two-year institutions will total no more than 99 hours and combined with credits from four-year institutions will total no more than 132 hours. Additional information on types of transfer work accepted is available under Transfer Credit Regulations. For more information see the Undergraduate Student Handbook.​

Who is considered a Transfer Student?

A transfer student is defined as someone having between 30 and 132 hours of transfer credit applied to their DePaul record.​

I am currently enrolled at DePaul; can I still take courses at other institutions and have them apply toward the Islamic World Studies Major and/or Liberal Studies requirements as transfer credit?

Yes, with permission from a DePaul University academic advisor. You will need to complete a Transfer Credit Approval Request Form​​.  Note that half of major and/or minor field courses must be taken at DePaul University.

How do I find out the DePaul course equivalent of a course that I might take (or have already taken) at another college or university?

You can often get this information from the Transfer Guides and Transfer Course Lists. More information is available at the Admission and Aid Transfer Center. Please remember, however, that there are limits to the number of courses that you can transfer, and all courses taken by DePaul students at other institutions must be approved for application toward DePaul degree requirements.​

I am a transfer student and had my Chicago Quarter and Focal Point courses waived, but the LAS office told me that I had to take Liberal Studies learning domain electives in their place; what courses can I take to satisfy this requirement?

Domain electives can be any approved Liberal Studies learning domain courses outside your major field, except those for which you have already received equivalent credit.​

I am transferring to DePaul as an upperclassman; what Liberal Studies courses do I have to take?

This varies widely from student to student depending on the circumstances. Transfer allocation is done by the LAS College Office. They accept the Illinois Articulation Initiative General Education Core Curriculum (IAI GECC) as a general education core if a student successfully completes the IAI curriculum before transferring and this is indicated on the student's official transcript. In addition to the IAI “package,” however, these students must also complete the junior year experiential learning requirement and the fourth-year Senior Capstone seminar, as well as four upper-level domain electives chosen in consultation with a DePaul University academic advisor. Students who have not completed at least two Religious Dimensions and two Philosophical Inquiry courses must incorporate these courses into the four required domain electives.  LSP 200 may substitute for one of these from required domain electives.
Appeals of transfer credit allocation may be filed with the LAS College Office. Confer with your Islamic World Studies advisor about this.

Please note that students cannot earn credit for the same class through both transfer credit and a DePaul course. Thus, students should be careful NOT to enroll in any courses for which they have already been granted (or expect to receive) transfer credit.

Why are some courses in areas like sociology and history that I took at another institution listed as “not applicable to degree,” while other classes in the same fields do satisfy Liberal Studies and elective requirements?

Courses are placed this way by the College Office according to guidelines set by the University Articulation Coordinator. These decisions are made in the College office, which has guidelines in place for substituting transfer credit on the student transcript. In these cases, the courses are not equivalent to DePaul courses. Sometimes, the college will request a syllabus of the course taken at another university to determine its eligibility for DePaul credit (particularly Liberal Studies credit). You may begin the appeal of a placement by sending an email request to:​