College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Academics > Peace, Justice and Conflict Studies > Student Resources > Undergraduate FAQ

Undergraduate FAQ

Who is my advisor?

If you have declared PAX as your major or double-major, you can view the name of your faculty advisor via Campus Connect under the Student Center tab. Faculty advisors can help you choose courses which fit your major and your career goals. Contact your faculty advisor directly to make an appointment.  Please bring a copy of your unofficial transcript to the meeting. You can view your unofficial transcript via Campus​ Connect.​

Can I change advisors?

Yes. You can choose any full-time PAX faculty member to be your advisor.  If you'd like to change your advisor, simply send an email to Mary Jeanne Larrabee, Director of PAX (  Include your DePaul ID number and the name of the faculty member you'd like to have as your advisor.​

How do I declare a major, double-major, minor, or concentration?

​A Declaration of Major, Minor and Concentration form can be found at the LAS Undergraduate Academic Advising site. We recommend that students declare their major by the end of sophomore year.​

How many credits is each class worth?

Most DePaul courses are worth 4 quarter hours of credit. The full-time student tuition package includes 12-18 quarter hours. We recommend that students take four courses (16 quarter hours) each quarter, if their schedule allows. This ensures that students are receiving the most value for their money and staying on track for graduation.​

Can you explain inter-college transfers?

The Inter-College Transfer (ICT) process allows students to transfer within DePaul University from one school to another. This is an automated process initiated by the student. Once the ICT application is approved, the student, the current school/college and the new school/college are all notified via email regarding the change of program. 

If you would like to speak with an academic advisor about other colleges or majors, please contact the Office for Academic Advising Support (OAAS) at 773-325-7431, or visit the Lincoln Park Campus office location in Schmidt Academic Center 192 or the Loop Campus office location in DePaul Center 9500.

Inter-College Transfer Requirements
  1. ​​Applies only to admitted degree seeking undergraduates.
  2. You must be currently enrolled (have not been absent 3 consecutive quarters, excluding summer sessions).
  3. A minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.000.
  4. A minimum of 12 quarter hours earned as a degree seeking student at DePaul. Those hours must be posted on a DePaul official transcript.
  5. Students wishing to transfer to Music, Theatre or SNL must also meet the interview and/or audition requirements of those schools.
  6. GPA and credit hour requirements may not apply to students intending to transfer to the School for New Learning. Students should see an SNL advisor.
  7. Current students preferring to transfer to the School of Education must meet the current cumulative GPA requirement of 2.5. Students whose GPA is below 2.5 must contact the School of Education advising office at 773-325-4409.
  8. Students who wish to apply for housing as a result of their inter-college transfer must contact the Department of Housing after the transfer has ​been approved.
​To complete the inter-college transfer process online, log on to Campus Connection. For a step by step walkthrough, see Initiating an Inter College Transfer. Questions? Send an email to​.​

What is my class standing?

Class-standing is determined by credit hours earned.
Freshman = 0-43
Sophomore = 44-87
Junior = 88-131
Senior = 132 +​

What is the LSP?

The Liberal Studies Program is made up of courses that enhance your educational experience. Unlike your chosen major, which provides in depth knowledge in a single focused area, LSP courses give you a breadth of scholarship across many different areas.  For more information, please visit the Liberal Studies Website.

When are LSP courses taken?

LSP courses begin upon arrival at DePaul with your Chicago Quarter course, and continue during the entire first year as you take your Writing Courses, a Focal Point Seminar, and Mathematical and Technology Literacy courses (depending on your major or college requirements). Together, these classes orient you to DePaul and prepare you for continuing academic success.

During the sophomore year, there is a Multicultural Seminar requirement and in the junior year, an Experiential Learning requirement (e.g., study abroad, field internships, research), both of which can be applied to complement or strengthen other fields of interests. In the senior year, a Capstone Course culminates your educational experience at DePaul into a single final project. 

Across all years of study, you also take two to three courses from six broadly defined domains of intellectual inquiry: 
  1. Arts and Literature
  2. Philosophical Inquiry
  3. Religious Dimensions
  4. Self, Society, and the Modern World
  5. Scientific Inquiry
  6. Understanding the Past 
​(Note: You should carefully review the specific requirements in your chosen major as minor variations do exist in what students take.)

How do credits transfer from other colleges or universities?

Transferology is a nation-wide networ​k that gives you detailed information on how your learning experiences transfer to higher education institutions. Transferology gives you quick answers on how your college credits will transfer to DePaul. Set up an account, add your coursework, and get your results immediately. For more information on Transferology, visit the Office of Financial Affairs.​

How many credits qualify me as a full-time student?

A 12 quarter hour course load (4 four-credit courses) is required for undergraduate students to maintain full-time status for purposes of financial aid.  Half-time status is defined as 6.  Self-service Enrollment Certificates are available through Campus Connect.

What are the requirements for placement testing in writing, math, and language?

All new undergraduate DePaul students are required to complete placement tests in Math, Writing and Modern Languages.  These placement tests ensure you are registered in a course that best builds on your current skills so that you can succeed in your studies at DePaul.  Learn more.​

How many credits are needed to graduate?

Minimum number of credits to graduate is 192; however program and college requirements must also be met.  If student is a double major or minor, then those requirements must also be met.

What are the requirements to remain in good standing and be eligible for the dean’s list?

Students who maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA are in good standing. Full time students who earn a minimum term GPA of 3.5 will be placed on the Dean’s List.

What is academic probation? Are student dismissed from the University?

Any student who fails to maintain a 2.000 (C) cumulative grade point average is on academic probation. A student is removed from academic probation when the cumulative grade point average reaches the required minimum of 2.000(C). Ordinarily the student will not be permitted to be on academic probation for longer than two consecutive quarters. Academic disciplinary action including dismissal from the university may be taken by the dean of student's home college or school in accordance with the degree of the student's academic deficiency.

How can I re-take a class? When should I re-take a class?

Undergraduate students may have the need to repeat courses. When that occurs, all grades achieved are recorded on the academic record. Upon the initial repeat, only the second grade will be used to determine cumulative credit and to calculate the GPA. If a student repeats that course again, the second and all subsequent grades will be used to calculate the GPA. Credit earned is based on the final attempt. A course must be repeated at DePaul in order for this policy to apply. Students may retake a course in transfer that was originally completed at DePaul. The DePaul grade remains in the GPA, but credit is only accumulated once. 

Note: No lower than a "C–" grade is acceptable in a student’s major providing the overall GPA in the major is 2.0.

How do I get permission to take 5+ classes?

The maximum number of classes a student may register for on their own is 5 courses; however overrides are possible if the student has earned up to 44 credit hours, has taken 4 classes successfully and has a 3.0 GPA.  Students must fill out an Exception to Policy form.

How do I get permission to add to a closed class?

Waitlist is a new feature that is available on some classes in Campus Connection. If a class is full, but has a waitlist, you can add yourself to the waitlist and as seats open up, students on the waitlist will be automatically enrolled. When you add yourself to the waitlist, you are given a position number. Students are enrolled in open seats based on their position number. The lower the number, the higher your priority. Learn more about waitlists.

For classes that do not have the waitlist feature, permission to add to a closed class must be given by the instructor in writing. The student must request the over-enroll in writing via email or add form and must include the following: student ID number, term, class section, class title, class number. Send an initial email request to the instructor of the class to request permission, then the instructor or a designated alternate will email the overenroll

May I take a class pass/fail?

Under the pass/fail option a student who has at least Sophomore standing and who is not on academic probation may register for one pass/fail course each term. A maximum of 20 quarter hours may be taken under the pass/fail option. Grades A through D represent passing performance.  Written permission to use the pass/fail option must be obtained from the student’s academic advisor or from his or her college or school office prior to the beginning of the third week of the quarter. For courses of four weeks or less in duration, approval must be obtained before the second class meeting of the course. The option is limited to no more than one course in any one department.  Only elective courses can be​ taken Pass/Fail, not Liberal Studies or Major Field courses.  
The pass/fail option may not be used for the following categories of courses: 
  • courses taken to meet Liberal Studies requirements;
  • courses taken to meet requirements of a student’s major, minor, or allied field;
  • developmental courses, including those offered through the Writing, Reading, and Computation program and WRD 101 and WRD 102. 

​If the course is passed, the credit hours earned are entered on the student’s record; the grade is not included in computing the student’s grade point average. If the course is failed, the F grade is recorded on the student’s record and the credit hours attempted are included in computing the student’s grade point average.

What are the registration and withdrawal deadlines?

View the Academic Calendar to see deadline dates. These dates are based on the following formulas. These formulas are particularly important for classes that meet outside the standard (10 week term plus finals week) start and end dates for a term. Please consult your college office for specific dates relevant to your class.

  • Students may not add classes after 10% of the scheduled class has elapsed. 
  • Students who drop a class or classes after 20% of the scheduled class has elapsed will be responsible for 100% tuition and a grade of W will be assigned. 
  • Students may not select a Pass/Fail grading option after 20% of the scheduled class has elapsed. 
  • Students may not select Audit (non-credit) grading option after 30% of the scheduled class has elapsed. Students may not withdraw from classes after 70% of the scheduled class has elapsed.