College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Student Resources > Undergraduate Advising > FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

2352 N. Clifton Avenue, Suite 130 (the corner of Clifton and Fullerton)
Chicago, Illinois
Phone (773) 325-7310

Declare your major, minor or concentration by logging onto Campus Connect and going to Self Service > Academic Planning > Change College, Major or Minor and submitting your request online. It is recommended that students declare their major by the end of their sophomore year. Please contact the Office for Academic Advising Support (OAAS)to discuss your options about majors, minors and concentrations.

Note: Students who have applied for degree conferral should submit their major/minor change via email to

Most DePaul courses are worth 4 quarter hours of credit. The full-time student tuition package includes 12-18 quarter hours. We recommend that students take four courses (16 quarter hours) each quarter, if their schedule allows. This ensures that students are receiving the most value for their money and staying on track toward graduation.

All students must complete the following university graduation requirements beyond their college specific degree requirements.

  1. Complete a minimum of 192 quarter hours.
  2. Earn a minimum of 2.000 cumulative grade point average.
  3. Earn grades of C- or better in all major, minor and allied field classes. Please note that the cumulative grade point average in each of these areas must be greater than or equal to 2.000.
  4. Complete the residency requirement, i.e., he or she must have completed the following work at DePaul University: the final 60 quarter hours of credit, one-half of the credit earned in the major area of concentration, one-half of the credit earned in the minor if applicable and all courses in the senior year.
  5. Complete the online degree conferral application in Campus Connect by the designated deadline date.

Send official transcripts and reports to:

DePaul University
Office of Admission
1 East Jackson Blvd.
Chicago, Illinois 60604

Your cumulative GPA is a 0.00 upon admission to DePaul. If you have transfer credit, the transfer cumulative GPA was only used by DePaul for admission purposes.

Students who maintain at least a 2.000 cumulative GPA are in good-standing. Full-time students who earn a minimum term GPA of 3.500 will be placed on the Dean’s List. If a student’s cumulative GPA falls below a 2.000, he/she is placed on academic probation. Failure to be removed from academic probation in a timely manner may result in dismissal.

Class-standing is determined by quarter hours earned:
First: 0-43 hours
Sophomore: 44-87 hours
Junior: 88-131 hours
Senior: 132+

DePaul University is required to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) which sets forth the requirements regarding the privacy of student records. FERPA governs the release of education records maintained by DePaul and access to these records. This law applies to all levels of education from K-12 as well as postsecondary education.

DePaul’s Honors Program is geared toward both first-year and transfer students interested in a challenging, prearranged curriculum. Students in the program do not complete the Liberal Studies program but take specific honors courses, which often include more writing assessments, class participation and smaller class sizes. All honors students take an additional one-year foreign language sequence. Information about requirements and admission to the program can be found at on the Honors Program website or by calling (773) 325-7302.

  • The Writing Center provides writing assistance for students, located in McGaw 250 (LPC) and at Lewis Center #1600 (LOOP).
  • The Quantitative Reasoning Center (SAC 268) provides tutoring for students enrolled in LSP 120 Quantitative Reasoning and Technological Literacy I and LSP 121 Quantitative Reasoning and Technological Literacy II.
  • First-year students should contact their Explore / Discover Chicago professor or student mentor.
  • Professors and faculty advisors are also excellent resources for locating tutoring. Some departments offer tutoring for students having difficulty with a specific class.
  • For assistance with research, go to the reference desk in the library.

Only open electives can be taken Pass/Fail. Students who have at least sophomore standing (minimum 44 quarter hours earned) and who are not on academic probation (a GPA of 2.000 or higher) may register for one Pass/Fail course each quarter.  During a student’s DePaul career, only five courses can be taken Pass/Fail and only one per department.

The Pass/Fail option may not be used for the following categories of courses:

  • courses taken to meet Liberal Studies requirements;
  • courses taken to meet requirements of a student’s major or minor; and
  • developmental courses, such as MAT 094, MAT 095 and WRD 101, WRD 102, WRD 108 and WRD 200.

Once you have completed the Pass/Fail form in the LAS Undergraduate College Office by the deadline indicated in the academic calendar, the course must be taken Pass/Fail. Grades “A” through “D” represent passing performance.  Failing grades count toward your GPA! For additional information, see the Pass/Fail/Audit form page.