Meet INTerrupted Silence, the Department of International Studies quarterly newsletter. Created around the mantra of "actively engaged intellectuals, and intellectually engaged activists," this newsletter provides a space for our students to stay involved with their department, their community, and their peers.
Stop by our office in 990 W. Fullerton, Suite 4100 for your copy, and enjoy!
Issues of the Student Newsletter
- 2018-2019 Academic Year
- 2017-2018 Academic Year
- 2015-2016 Academic Year
- 2014-2015 Academic Year
- 2013-2014 Academic Year
- 2012-2013 Academic Year
- 2011-2012 Academic Year
Request for Submissions
Writing for the newsletter is a great way to get more involved in the department while also sharing some of your research, experiences, and commentary with other students. We accept research articles, opinion pieces, coverage of recent events, book reviews, and profiles of students, alumni, and organizations. Please follow the submission guidelines below.
- Try to keep the pieces to no more than 1000 words (roughly 4 pages double-spaced, 2 pages single-spaced). 500 words is sufficient.
- Use concise, simple, and straightforward language. Employ active verbs.
- Have a clear thesis statement, argument, or theme to your piece.
- Remember that this will be the first time that many of your readers hear about your topic: be sure to establish context, avoid acronyms, and to think from an audience perspective.
- Proof read your work
- If you have a particular photo or image to support your article, please attach it with your submission.
Please email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Newsletter Committee
The newsletter committee is always looking for volunteers to join the editorial board! Contact email@example.com to get involved.