Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. All applicants to any of the MA Programs within the Department of Modern Languages must have, at the time of matriculation into the program:
- A completed BA or BS degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or abroad,
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 (on a scale where A=4.0) in all undergraduate coursework, and
- At least 20 quarter credit-hours of advanced undergraduate coursework in the target language OR a rating of at least “Intermediate High” on both the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and Writing Proficiency Test (WPT) for the target language.
In addition, applicants must submit:
- Two letters of recommendation, and
- One letter that explains the applicant’s areas of professional interest and reasons for seeking advanced training in language and culture.
Applicants may transfer for credit to their chosen MA Program no more than 8 quarter credit hours of graduate-level coursework completed at other institutions, provided that:
- The courses have not already counted in satisfaction of requirements for another degree program, and
- The courses bear grades of at least B- or higher (coursework graded P/NP will not be acceptable).
International students (those who were educated outside of the U.S. and/or require an F1 visa) must take additional steps to be considered for admission. Please click here for exact information.
Learn more about Graduate Admission.
Ready to apply?
If you need assistance to complete your application and/or have questions, contact the LAS Graduate Admission office at (773) 325-7315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.