Designed for students interested in public policy in an effort to serve the common good and advance a just society.
Effective public policies can fix an issue, empower a cause or right an injustice. Public policies impact nearly every dimension of our lives. You appreciate the importance of policies that are well informed, ethical, fair, financially sound and compassionate. Those are the policies that advance the greater good.
DePaul’s Master of Public Policy (MPP) gives students the skills, experience and analytical tools to help shape governmental policies that influence our local, regional and national agenda. MPP students at DePaul also have a particular lens and commitment to advancing policies that are beneficial to our neighborhoods and urban community or advocate for those who are marginalized or at risk.
Using an applied, hands-on approach, students will focus on:
- Policy design, implementation and analysis
- Law and public policy
- Advocacy and lobbying
- Economic foundations in public service
"As a public service professional who deals regularly with power dynamics among and between stakeholders, it is rare for a week to go by that I don't reflect on the ethical compass that DePaul was so influential in honing for me."
Learn more about our Alumni Network.
- DePaul SPS degree programs are tailored for the working professional with classes offered primarily in the evenings.
- Programs are also designed to be completed in two years and one additional quarter assuming students take two classes per quarter. (Two classes per quarter is considered full-time status.)
- 52 credit hours are required to complete the program.
- Students can alternate between full and part-time status as needed to accommodate scheduling needs
- In 2016, the most recent year in which graduation rates were reported to NASPAA, for the cohort of students that began their LPS/MPP degree five years earlier, 36 percent graduated in 2 years, 60 percent graduated in 3 years and 76 percent graduated in 4 years.
The Public Policy degree may also be expanded to include select graduate certificates. The combined programs require either the
completition of additional coursework or careful elective selection to fulfill all requirements. Certificates are available in:
If you're interested in a certificate combination with MPP, a separate application process is required. Contact the
program office for additional information.
Degree Chair & Faculty Committee
Program Mission: The Master of Public Policy degree emphasizes field-based learning in public service to develop effective leaders in nonprofit and government professions. Students will develop public policy and leadership skills in the community. The degree stresses ethics, problem solving and research skills, and the ability to implement public policy with compassion for marginalized communities and service to all people with accountability, justice, professionalism, sensitivity, and transparency.
Joseph P. Schwieterman, PhD