College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Academics > School of Public Service > Student Resources > Graduate > Advising


Students within the School of Public Service work with the Assistant Director for Academic Advising to successfully navigate through their program. In addition to having the Assistant Director for Academic Advising as their academic advisor, students are also assigned a faculty mentor to provide professional and educational guidance. Please refer to the descriptions below for the difference between the academic advisor and the faculty mentor.

Assistant Director for Academic Advising

The Assistant Director for Academic Advising is a resource for students. Students can meet with the Assistant Director for Academic Advising at any point in their academic career. We encourage new students to meet with the Assistant Director for Academic Advising in their first quarter to develop an academic plan to use as a guide through the program. The Assistant Director for Academic Advising can help with many program related concerns including progression towards degree completion, degree and conferral requirements, navigating the university, course selection and registration issues, waiver processes, elective substitutions, program reclassification, transfer credit requests, information about Study Abroad and internship requirements, as well as resources at DePaul that will help you complete your degree. 


Faculty Advisors/Mentors

Given DePaul's mission as a teaching institution, especially one devoted to providing students with personal attention, advising is an extension of the faculty's role as teachers. Faculty can help students understand relationships among different courses, suggest classes beyond specific requirements that might be beneficial, provide information about internships, study abroad programs, PhD programs and career opportunities related to their degree; and perhaps most importantly, listen and respond to students who seek guidance.

Students are paired with a faculty mentor at the start of the program. Mentor/mentee pairings are determined based on a student’s program and professional or educational interests. Students may also request a particular faculty member as their mentor if he or she has established a relationship with that faculty member and believe the pairing will benefit their educational career here at SPS.

Degree Program Chairs:
Nonprofit Management (MNM): Joseph Schwieterman
Public Administration (MPA): Nicholas Kachiroubas
International Public Service (IPS): Ramya Ramanath
Master of Public Policy (MPP): Hugh Bartling
Public Service Management (MPS): Raphael Ogom

Degree Chairs

Degree chairs typically contact students throughout the year with degree specific information. Students should contact degree chairs for general concerns related to their degree program.

Degree Progress Report
Your Degree Progress Report (DPR) in Campus Connect tracks and helps you plan your progress to degree. Your DPR provides requirement information for your declared major (as well as double majors or minors), detailing what you have completed and what courses you can choose to complete the remaining requirements.​

Unofficial Transcript
The unofficial transcript is a record of the courses completed and other credits earned. Access to the unofficial transcript is through the Campus Connect web portal.​
Online Course Registration
Online course registration is restricted to students enrolled in the online degree program cohort. In-class students interested in online coursework must add themselves to the wait list for each course they are interested in. Once online students have registered for coursework, remaining spaces of each online section will open to wait-listed students. For more information about adding a waitlist, visit DePaul Central.

Academic Probation
Any graduate student with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) below 2.7 (B-) is on academic probation. For further details on the academic probation and dismissal policy, please review the SPS Academic Probation and Dismissal Policy. NOTE: Academic probation is different from financial aid probation. Students on financial aid probation must see a financial aid counselor.